Tuesday, September 29, 2009

That's Not My Name

1John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

You might get called a hundred different things but "that's not your name"
You are called, child of God

Every day i feel like I'm bombarded w/ people telling me who I am.
at work i'm either the hipster w/ the road bike or the intern, to my mother i'm perfect or super flaky, sometimes i'm the marathon runner, sometimes the redneck. To some people I'm only a type of music or one of my majors. Once my friend's roommate called me the coolest person ever (that was generous of her). I get called a vegetarian, an environmentalist, an artist, a horrible driver.

These are just a few names but it's impossible to be all these people at once or to meet everyone's expectation all the time. Sometimes I even like having these labels stuck to me. But that is not the identity God intended for us. We are to know the Father's love and to be called children of God. It is so refreshing to be around God's people because we view each other in light of this truth... Our identity is in Christ!

The Ting Tings really bit the mark! Let's not let meaningless labels define us.

No comments:

Post a Comment